Archive | June, 2013

Romper time!

18 Jun

I’m having a good time working my way through this Japanese sewing book, but am still working on sizing. This time I cut out a size 100 using a great orange and white textured cotton that I took from my mom’s stash (probably last used in a jacket/skirt set in the 80s). Despite the impracticality for potty trained 3 year olds, I love the idea of rompers and was looking forward to making this one. I mean, take a look at those pin tucks on the bodice!

IMG_0328

Turns out it is a little short in the torso, and I had to bribe the kid to put it on for photos (popsicles work every time). Ah, well. It was still fun to make.

IMG_0311

That said, it was still not without trouble and language barrier issues. From what I could tell in the pattern layout, it seemed like the waist and the chest bands were to be different lengths, but I am still not sure why as I had to add a pleat in the chest band to fit properly. You can’t tell because of the way the elastic gathers it, but I still wish I had followed my intuition.

IMG_0341

The other thing I would change, and still might, is the length of the straps – they are crazy long, and I ended up tying them at the back to slow down the process of my model untying them. I still have a lot of patterns I want to try out of this book – just hoping to figure out sizing a little better.

Pattern: view F from this book

Size: 100; a bit short in the torso but otherwise seems perfect!

Fabric: a great orange and white slub cotton from mom’s stash.