Tag Archives: Japanese pattern

Romper time!

18 Jun

I’m having a good time working my way through this Japanese sewing book, but am still working on sizing. This time I cut out a size 100 using a great orange and white textured cotton that I took from my mom’s stash (probably last used in a jacket/skirt set in the 80s). Despite the impracticality for potty trained 3 year olds, I love the idea of rompers and was looking forward to making this one. I mean, take a look at those pin tucks on the bodice!

IMG_0328

Turns out it is a little short in the torso, and I had to bribe the kid to put it on for photos (popsicles work every time). Ah, well. It was still fun to make.

IMG_0311

That said, it was still not without trouble and language barrier issues. From what I could tell in the pattern layout, it seemed like the waist and the chest bands were to be different lengths, but I am still not sure why as I had to add a pleat in the chest band to fit properly. You can’t tell because of the way the elastic gathers it, but I still wish I had followed my intuition.

IMG_0341

The other thing I would change, and still might, is the length of the straps – they are crazy long, and I ended up tying them at the back to slow down the process of my model untying them. I still have a lot of patterns I want to try out of this book – just hoping to figure out sizing a little better.

Pattern: view F from this book

Size: 100; a bit short in the torso but otherwise seems perfect!

Fabric: a great orange and white slub cotton from mom’s stash.

A little (too little) top

31 May

I am procrastinating my way through a Very Big Project (VBP), which will eventually make its way to these pages. For now, though, I’ll share what I’ve been doing in between the VBP, to help me feel like I’m accomplishing things. (Do you do this, too? Work on little things that you know you can complete, even if it means adding them to your to-do list?)

Enter: 2nd Japanese pattern attempted and conquered! (From this book.)

IMG_0268

This cute little shirt was a satisfying sew. Like, really, really satisfying because all of the little seams are covered by the trim pieces (hard to see in the pics, but made with a contrasting pink/white polka dot fabric). I love me a finished garment, that’s for sure. I also enjoy following a pattern with pictures – it’s a nice little challenge, at least when it works out!

IMG_0274

This  wasn’t, however, a total win. I’m considering it a muslin, and good thing, because I should have cut out the larger size. Turns out Size 90 maybe translates more to a 2T size, and it’s a little on the small side for the small fry. I didn’t think I’d even get that neck over my kid’s head, so that was a nice surprise. It at least allowed for photos on a real live model as opposed to a hanger.

Here’s the proof that this is likely the last time this shirt will be worn:

IMG_0270 IMG_0277

This does make me excited about the pink and white seersucker I used; I thrifted it years ago and was tired of looking at it every time I went through my stash. I think I might actually use it to make something that will fit the kid now!

Details:

Pattern: Blouse from this book!

Size: 90 (too small)

Fabric: pink/white seersucker with pink/white polka dot trim, both thrifted long ago

Notes: Love the finished seams. I sewed the sides up using French seams to ensure no raw edges anywhere!

An old pattern and getting over a sewing block!

22 May

This is admittedly not my favorite outfit. However, it came together pretty quickly using things I had on hand, so that feels good. 

ImageThe top is the Sailboat Top by Oliver + S, using the thrifted fabric that I used to make the full skirt from my last post. I used this pattern only once before to make the pants in the 18 month size, which incidentally, still fit my 3 year old. Anyway, back to the shirt: I went ahead and sewed up the 3T size, and while the fit of the shirt is otherwise great, the sleeves are too long. Instead of rehemming, I’m just going save this shirt for a longer armed version of my kid (that should take a few months).Image

I also made a mistake with the placement of the buttonholes. They seemed a bit close to the seam after I sewed them, so I was going to account for that with a smaller seam allowance when I attached my sleeves; I forgot but just went with it since they still work.Image

I do like this pattern, especially the top stitching that is used to tack down the facings. 

The shorts, though simple, are very exciting for me as they represent moving into a new realm as far as sewing goes! I made them using a Japanese pattern from this book! Yay me! Image

I’ve been inspired by bloggers like Sanae and Cherie to delve into Japanese patterns since the styles are adorable and unique. I did look for pattern books during our late winter trip to Japan, but didn’t have luck (maybe I was distracted by a short time frame and 4 stories of fabric….). I purchased this book in late March at Kinokuniya Bookstore

The shorts came together very easily, and even taught me a new waistband technique using an opening in the casing’s seam through which to feed my elastic. The size 90 fits my kid perfectly. I did wish I had a serger with this project, however, because the fabric I used frays a lot! Not sure what they are going to do in the wash, even though I finished the raw edges with pinking shears and/or a zigzag stitch. 

ImageThe fabric from the shorts was cut from an old pair of trousers that my husband bought at Celio in Paris back in 2006. It took him a long time to admit they were looking shabby, but he is quite tickled that they can live on with our little squirt.

Image

Next up….hard to say, but I’m looking forward to sewing my way through more Japanese patterns!